West Fork Schools is dedicated to the safety and well-being of the students and staff of our campus, it is for this reason that we teach the ALICE strategies to prepare for the event of a school intruder. It is common to find awareness and training related to fires and tornadoes in a district; this same precaution should be taken to defend against an intruder.
- If you see something, say something. In an emergency tell someone in charge such as a teacher, otherwise call 911.
- Outside of an emergency if you are concerned about someone, say something. The school provides a form for anonymous reporting if needed.
- Close & lock the doors, turn off the lights, and barricade the doors in the event of an intruder.
- Locking down a room doesn’t need to require an immediate threat.
- Information and updated will be pushed out via the Panic Button App, Communication App, as well as PA system.
- Giving accurate descriptions can help narrow down and mitigate a threat.
- Acknowledge your right to defend yourself and others.
- Distract and disrupt the attacker using whatever can assist you.
- Get away from the attacker as soon as safely possible and make your way to one of the rally points.
- Identify the different ways you can evacuate from the room, such as windows.
Smart Locks Inside and Out
West Fork Schools has been equipped with exterior door entry management for several years. Over the summer of the 2022-23 school year, we also added smart locks to all classrooms and large gathering space doors. These locks have been programmed for specific teacher and administrator access. In addition, they allow teachers to control lockdown of their own rooms, meaning that, if it becomes necessary, a teacher may enable lockdown, which prevents the use of any cards to open the doors. Doors also automatically lock to ensure that simply forgetting to lock the door will not be a factor in ensuring the safety of our students.
Local Fire & Police
In case of a security event, it is important that local fire and police officials are able to enter our buildings and classrooms. For this reason, West Fork Schools provides all members of the West Fork Fire Department and the West Fork Police Department with RFID badges programmed to allow entry into all exterior and interior doors.